April 2nd marked the 3 month anniversary of my surgery (or surgiversary as we post-ops call it)! Originally, my goal was to hit 75lbs by that day. As if by magic, I blew past that over the weekend and ended up at 79lbs lost as of yesterday! And today I actually hit 80 :)
My surgeon wanted me to be at this point by my 6 month post-op appointment. 50% of my excess weight lost! WOW. I can tell you that it's exciting but in a jittery nervous sort of way. My brain still cannot comprehend my new size well. But I feel wonderful and happy!
I don't know where I will be in 3 more months, 6 more months or even a year from now but I am so glad I made the choice that I did because my life has changed for the better. I've heard the term "glowing" repeatedly. LOL. In fact, if I had to have this surgery every 5 years to maintain - I would. It's that worth it.
And now for my current thoughts:
Weight loss is hard. Regardless if you have 10 lbs or over 100 lbs to lose. Everyone does it their own way but it really irks me when people think surgery is the easy way out. My surgery is just a tool. Like I've said before, it doesn't control what I put in my mouth or how I exercise. I may only be able to eat 3 oz of food, but if I want to, I can eat 3 oz of donuts or cheese fries. But I don't. Plus, the decision to have elective bariatric surgery is not something you come upon lightly. It took me months of deliberation and research before I decided to even sign up for an info session with IMBS. Even up until the day of your surgery, you second guess yourself and panic that you are making the right decision. Not to mention you are having a major portion of your stomach removed. Easy? No.
The first week after surgery most patients are asking themselves "why the "f" did I do this?!" But then, you get into routine and you feel better and then boom you are back to normal and you couldn't be happier. Then the results start to show which then encourages you to continue following the plan because - this time it is working. This time you aren't failing. Then confidence starts creeping in and soon there is no turning back - you are doing this!
So regardless of your particular weightloss journey - please take the time to encourage those who are struggling and congratulate those succeeding because we are all in this together! Let's change the way that our children and spouses think about food too so that we can fight the disease of obesity!
I'll try and update with new pics tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment