I had my follow up appointment with my surgeon's office yesterday, marking 6 months since I was "reborn". It was clear from their smiles that they were happy with my results just by looking at me. My NP said she could just see that I was healthy. Even better is when she pulled up my labwork. It was perfect!! Okay, near perfect. Everything was on target except my good cholesterol which was slightly low and my vitamin D was also low by 2 points. So I will be taking vitamin D now instead of my gallbladder medication which I can officially stop taking now :) She said she wasn't concerned about either of those because they were so close to being in range anyway.
NP said she couldn't be more thrilled with my results. I am currently down 115 lbs and have lost 67% of my excess body weight. Their original goal for my 6 month appointment was 80 lbs or 50% of my excess weight. So I have already surpassed their expectations! I'm pretty sure she said the words "banner child" at least a few times as well - lol.
I asked her what my goal should be for my next visit at 9 months post-op. She asked what my "ultimate" goal was. I told her I'd like to reach 150 lbs. She made a face and told me she wasn't sure that 150 lbs was a good weight for me based on the fact that I already look healthy at 199. She concluded that for my 9 month appointment, they'd like me to reach 170 lbs and she will re-evaluate me then and determine if that should be my stopping point or if I should reach for more.
I have to admit that this part of the appointment was a bit disappointing. I was so determined to get to the number 150 that I never really thought about whether that would be an appropriate goal or not. Well I did choose it based on BMI but we all know how BMI does not factor in muscle tone or bone mass. And of course, I won't know until my 9 month appointment if I can keep shooting for that goal or not. Ultimately though, the scale number doesn't matter. The only thing that truly matters is that I am healthy and in shape so that I can be the me that I've always dreamed of being.
And if that is the case, I feel like I've already achieved so much. I love playing with my girls and feeling fit. I love that my hubby has an even harder time keeping his hands off me. I love that when I look in the mirror, I don't see a monster staring back at me. In fact, even with my scars and stretch marks and rocks in socks - I look at myself and say, "Not too shabby!"



You look amazing, Dani! I'm so proud of you and I know you are working so hard! LOVE YOU!!!!
ReplyDelete