I always had a nickname for this gene I picked up. The B#######n Rounds. Because we get rounder and rounder as we grow older.
My grandfather was an amazing, loving and gentle soul but he was a big guy. We always lovingly teased him about the food that got stuck in the sides of his mouth or his affair with ice cream. He always laughed heartily with shining eyes - he didn't care. He was confident in who he was. He didn't acknowledge that he might have diabetes, to him it was a snake bite that caused his legs to be swollen and purple.
My mom also picked up this round gene. She is also an amazing, loving and gentle soul. (I can only hope I pick that up too.) But my mom is more aware of her health as she has had to deal with a few real health issues including high blood pressure and a double knee replacement surgery at the young age of 50. No snake did that! She sees me following her path and my grandfather's path and she is worried for me.
I'm worried for me too. Yes, it's partially genes but I have to learn to control what I put in my mouth so that I do not tempt those evil round genes any further. I am utilizing this surgery as a tool to create a new lifestyle for myself. My grandfather would not want me to suffer this way and I know my mom is suffering as she watches me die from obesity. Because I am dying. In fact, I'm killing myself - slowly but it will come if I don't stop.
And then there's DD. 1/2 my genes are in there somewhere. She's got my chin....she's got my hair - does she have the round genes too? Maybe, but she'll never find out if I have anything to do with it. Hopefully, she won't even remember having a fat mommy. I'm killing these genes in this generation darn it!
My mom has this gene too. My sisters and I are trying to eat healthy foods and keep it at bay.
ReplyDeleteI say celebrate your jeans and your genes!
ReplyDeleteStopping by from Mama Kat's...
ReplyDeleteI like how you use jeans and genes together to describe the inheritance.
Thanks for sharing,