So if you are reading this, then you probably are curious about my choice to have RNY. I am writing this because I want it to come from the source, not from he said/she said. So feel free to ask questions (if they are out of curiosity and not malicious). I also want people to know up front that the decision is made and I don't want any backlash from people who don't agree with me.
Here it is....I weigh over 300lbs. Yep. 3-0-0. So when you say "The lady next to me on the plane had to weigh at LEAST 300lbs!" - that's me. Or " God that chick was so fat! She had to weigh more than 300lbs!" - That's me too. I'm sure you've all seen my struggles throughout the past 10 years or so. The wake up call came when Samantha's life and my life were in danger during my pregnancy. After my pregnancy, I gained so much weight that I now have 150lbs to lose. It would be really difficult for someone like me to drop 150lbs with diet and exercise alone and maintain that weight loss. I'm not saying it's impossible but I am saying that it is unlikely.
Statistics say that those diagnosed as morbidly obese (that's me) before the age of 40 will live 22 YEARS less than their average weight counterparts. 22 YEARS!! That's my retirement, my daughter as an adult, my grandchildren - all gone because I won't survive this weight problem. And I'll be damned if I'm going to live with that statistic. So I am making a decision on what is best for myself and my family.
I have already researched the pros and cons extensively and evaluated the risks associated with surgery. I have attended informational sessions, many support group meetings and met with all the right people. I've heard the horror stories but I've also heard the success stories. I have WLS buddies who are there to support me and I have some family and friends who are behind me 100%. All I ask is that if you have a negative or condescending opinion is that you keep it to yourself. It is extremely important that I am ONLY surrounded by loving and supportive people.
This surgery is by no means the magic bullet or the "easy way out". It will take extremely hard work and major dedication for it to pay off. I am well aware of what I need to do. If you are anti-surgery, I encourage you to do some research for yourself. Also, anyone is welcome to attend a support group meeting with me - they take place once a month at AMH.
If you'd like more information on my WLS, try visiting http://www.obesityhelp.com/ or http://www.amh.org/services/bariatric-metabolic/surgical-weight-loss-procedures/.



Hey.....I just wanted to say that I've sat and read your blog all the way back to the beginning. And girl, I feel you on so much. I always feel that people are saying "There goes fatty" when I hit LB or Torrid. When I used to work at the mall and would go to the food court (which incidentally created about 30 lbs of the initial weigh gain), I used to think that people were whispering "There goes fatty, always eating" as I walked by with my container. I still sometimes think that people look at me and L and can't even contemplate the physics of our relationship.
ReplyDeleteThe 45 lbs I lost came flying back too easily. I'm at the up and down of 255-259 again, and it's maddening. I'm humiliated that I'm only 1 of 2 people who's gained all the weight back under the guide of my trainer. I totally understand why you're doing this option. It's terrifying to think of the future. I'm going to check out that obesity help site...I know I'll never be thin (and I want to smack myself for bitching about the 160 high school days), but I just want to be healthy. I wish you all the best of luck, and I'm always around if you want to chat about this!! You're doing this for yourself, your beautiful daughter, and your loving hubby. I know you will be successful!!
Dani! I just stumbled across your blog today when it appeared in my Facebook news feed. I am so proud of you for thinking of your health and your family and thatprecious baby of yours.
ReplyDeleteAs long as you are happy, I am so excited for you- despite the recent news (sorry, I'm reading the blog out of order). I wish I could be there with you, but even though you have to now put off surgery, I think this is a huge first step toward the rest of your life!
Love you so!