...but not in the way you might think. We arrived at the hospital around 5:45a and they took me back right away. Shawn had to wait in the waiting room. They put me in a little room with a curtain. I was instructed to pee in a cup and then change into a gown and the infamous slipper socks.
As I waited, I was beyond terrified. I examined my new wardrobe, a giant lavender gown which had a giant flap in the stomach area - I assume it was for surgical access. It also had two portholes, one by the lower right leg and one by my upper left shoulder. Just then, a nurse popped her head in and told me she'd be back shortly to go over procedure.
Shortly turned into a half hour. I then began to hear discussion in the hallway. I heard one nurse say Dr. B called and that he was not doing my surgery today. I was furious!!! Why was he not coming in - how could he do this?? Then I heard them call another doctor up to the floor. I was confused but I figured at least someone would do my surgery. I watched his feet under the curtain as this new doctor browsed my chart. I wondered if those feet belonged to a master surgeon and maybe he wouldn't give me a drain like Dr. B planned to.
He came in and said "Hi, I'm Dr. K.". I shook his hand and said, "Nice to meet you." Then he said it. "We can't do your surgery today because we believe you are pregnant."
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
He must have seen the shock on my face because he said, "we tested your urine twice and it came up positive both times." I asked him how this could be as I have an IUD?! He said it just sometimes happens. He said they could do a blood draw and send the results to my OB/GYN to confirm. If it's a false positive, they will reschedule my surgery.
I took two home tests - both positive. Blood test confirmed it this morning. Only 4 to 5 weeks along, so it's super early. There's a slight chance I could miscarry when they remove the IUD - so I'm really nervous about that for tomorrow.
So there you have it folks. No gastric bypass for me - instead I'm going to have a baby. How's that for a plot twist?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOMG. I think my eyes just bugged out of my head. Plot twist indeed!! It's so weird, I want to say congratulations, but I don't know if that's appropriate in this case. :-/ In any event. *HUGS* A beautiful baby is never bad!!
ReplyDeleteWow! I have no words! You're definitely in my thoughts right now- sending hugs to you from DC, girl!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW- Danielle, I'm so thrilled for your news! But I know you must have mixed emotions, so I want to tell you that if this baby stays after the IUD is removed, while it is wonderful news, it's okay for you to feel sad and even angry for the loss of your surgery- know that! Take some time for yourself to process this news. You are such a great mommy though- I can tell how much Sam knows you love her when I look at your pictures! Whatever happens, you're in my thoughts!!
ReplyDeleteOh my!! Congrats!! That's incredible news!!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy and supportive of every choice you make. You will be blessed with a new bundle and will be able to prep for the surgery later next year... You will be blessed. Miss u Dani
ReplyDelete