Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dealing with everyone else's opinions

Weight loss surgery or WLS as the community calls it, seems like a very sticky subject with people.  Most people I come across are anti-surgery for weight loss.  They see it as a "easy out" solution to a  weight problem. Granted, the majority (not all) of those negative nellies are thin and have never dealt with an ongoing weight problem.  And they have not done enough research to know that the surgery and post-op life changes are by no means easy.

Here's the problem for me.  I need a support system for this surgery to work.  Regardless of my friends and family members' opinons on the subject, I'm counting on them to keep their mouths zipped and help me get through this.  My in-laws have already voiced their concerns over the topic and although I know they mean well, neither of them has ever had a weight problem.  I was afraid to tell my mother about my decision to investigate WLS but she has been good so far.  I know she is not thrilled because she is my mother and I KNOW when she is excited about something.  But she knows the struggle because she is going through it and I think she just really wants me to be healthy, no matter how I get there.

A few of my friends have asked a lot of questions and told me they generally don't agree with the surgery but if it's what I need to do....BUT I need a cheering section.  Right now, that cheering section consists of my husband.  He came to the information session with me as a skeptic but left confident that I could do this and it was a good choice.  And I am so grateful for his support.

So now I need to work on telling other people what I need from them.  Because how will they know if I don't tell them?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I am going through the same thing. Suprisingly though my mom is on my side. My fiance is against it, but he is going by the.."It's your body" thing. He can't under stand that the risks of surgery out weigh the early death from being obese. I am just struggling with telling my dad at all. I don't see him often, so my theory was to just tell him I was going to get my hernia repaired (they ARE fixing it) and let him figure it out when I start losing weight, lol.

    ReplyDelete