I was greeted with plenty of smiles at the Institute for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery when I arrived Monday morning which helped me relax. The intake nurse was a really sweet woman about my age with a new baby at home as well. We chatted about my medical history. She recorded my weight, 300.4lbs, (GASP - not really I knew that) and my height and then we talked about what surgery I was considering, which is VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy).
I am bummed because she said my insurance does cover the surgery but only if your BMI is 50 or above. Her calculation of my BMI is 45 (I think it's 47), but either way - it's so close that rejection would be painful. We will submit for that surgery anyway and if they deny the claim we can appeal the decision. I'm hoping that with my medical history, the surgery will be approved.
I made my appointment to visit with the surgeon, the nutritionist and the psychiatrist for next month. They said I could come in sooner with a different surgeon (I chose Dr. Bonnani) but I figured that 1 month isn't that long to wait and it will give me more time to research and make a decision.
Now for the crazy part. I have to get a chest xray, an abdominal MRI, EKG, all kinds of blood work as well as another fun sample I won't share with you but you get the idea. So, a month gives me time to get all that together! Thank god child birth took away all of my shame and I can now go through anything without shock or embarrassment. lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment